Section 115: Notice of Intent to Obtain a Compulsory License
- Provides a compulsory license to SoundCloud to distribute recordings, once a recording of a work has been distributed to the public in the US under authority of the copyright owner
- Subject to certain terms and conditions of use
- Includes the right of the compulsory licensee (SoundCloud) to distribute/authorize the distribution of a recording of a musical work by means of a digital transmission (which constitutes a digital delivery)
The publishing clearance process has two main steps
Due to the compulsory license in the U.S., notice is enough.
- Identify and confirm the publisher
- Notify the publisher of the intent to monetize (NOI)